Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Event Analysis


 Gina Campanella
11/28/2012
EN101 Ellis
Event Analysis

                                                                Hummmmmmmm.......
         My second visit to Zen Meditation not only instilled a greater sense of inner peace than the first time, but it also felt relatable to the Shakespeare’s Twelfth Night written in 1600. After attending this event a month ago, I felt relived of my stresses and realized keeping concentration for one, simple hour felt eternal. I enjoyed my second session of learning how to meditate much more, because my nervousness was gone, so there was nothing hindering my experience. Although I tried my best to focus, my self-diagnosed ADHD kicked in. My mind wandered through the routine of my day, which was relatively mundane. My mind hovered over, and kept returning, to the discussion of crushes versus love. At first I imagined myself as Olivia, then Viola, and then I transitioned to memories of my own.
            Through personal silence and peace, some characters in Twelfth Night were able to find out what they wanted in love.  Olivia never shared her feeling for Viola with anyone; the only way she knew how she felt was by focusing in on herself and clearing her mind. The reader knew she had affection the moment Malvolio was sent to “return” the ring. Viola could not share her feelings for Duke Orsino with anyone because she was in her disguise. She had to listen to her inner-peaceful-self and figure out her feelings. I had to meditate and clear my mind of my school stresses in order to figure out what I wanted romantically. During Zen Meditation, I realized the boy I have been crushing on would be nothing more than a crush. I decided to plan ahead and meditate before I go out this weekend so that if I run into him I will be able to focus my mind on how I truly feel, not how I feel in the moment. The characters of this Shakespeare play have made me comprehend that keeping my feelings to myself may be better than sharing. In this case of romance, other people’s opinions can change my mind. I must stick to the obvious facts, and not create false hope!
            Making dream catchers and rainmakers, as well as learning about Native American history was my favorite event all semester!  I had seen a sign in Boulder with a picture of a dream catcher and put the date of the event in my phone two weeks in advance. Finally, the day had come to enter the multicultural room. I walked in and was overcome with a sense that I was the minority. There was tribal music being played in the background, and it seemed to me that everyone around me knew each other already. We had to wait a while, and in that time I was forced to mingle. I met a few volleyball players who I shared some laughs with, and I also bonded with two of the staff. These two groups of people did not judge that I came alone, and they appreciated my presence and sense of humor. I’m proud I went to the event and practiced having self-confidence. I’m also very grateful for the free slice of pizza and the amazing dream catcher I made. It may have taken me almost two hours to create a craft the size of a bagel, but it will hang above my bed forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment